The Code for.... what?

 Thank you to NetGalley for the chance to read and review Jillian Cantor's new novel, The Code for Love and Heartbreak set to release on October 6th!


This book has been advertised as a modern re-telling of Jane Austen's Emma, which I have never read and know nothing about. But if it's similar to what this book presented, then well, sign me up!

This book was actually adorable and I loved every second of it! Even if our main character, you guessed it, Emma, was a little ignorant for 75% of the book.

The Code for Love and Heartbreak takes place during Emma and George's senior year of high school. The two of them are total nerds and are co-presidents of the coding club and every year they have to come up with an app idea to present at a statewide competition to try and win to move on to nationals. Emma comes up with the idea for a matchmaking app that matches students up based on science and numbers. (After all, she loves numbers and numbers never lie). But when some things go wrong with her app and she ends up having feelings for someone she doesn't think is scientifically probable, she begins to lose faith in her app and her friends. 

Emma and George were really enjoyable characters. I also enjoyed their group of friends from Coding Club and thought they all had great personalities, and played an important part, even as side characters, in the development and plot of the novel. Emma's sister Izzy was a little obnoxious though and was probably the only character I really didn't care for. 

It was fun seeing Emma grow as a person in this book and learning about how their app worked (I can't code to save my life). I just wish she would open her eyes to her feelings a little sooner and stop being so oblivious and focused on science. It got annoying after a while, especially since she kept repeating that numbers don't lie and are the only thing you can rely on. We get it Emma, you're a nerd who loves science and doesn't want to believe in emotion. 

The plot moved along at a good pace as well. I didn't think there were any parts of the book that were unnecessary or dragged. I simply couldn't put it down because it was so cute and I was very much invested and sucked into the story! 

Overall, this story is a solid 4.5 star read for me. Emma's oblivious nature really annoyed me and although she did grow as a character towards the end, I wish there had been some more of that growth earlier on. Oh, and the conflict of this was actually pretty predictable as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Me In: A BiRacial Story Set During A Trying Time