May Wrap-Up: 19 Books & Counting

Hey friends!

May is OVER and June is HERE (can you believe it?!)

Quarantine has been good to me in regards to by never-ending TBR (To-Be-Read) piles, and this month was my largest reading month of the year (so far)! In the month of May I read a total of 19 BOOKS!



Below are some stats of my reading month as well as a short review for each of the books that I read this month!

STATS:
Total Pages Read: 6,550
3-Star Reads: 3
4-Star Reads: 6
5-Star Reads: 10
New Favorites: 5
Shortest Book: The Dark Matter of Mona Starr (192 pages)
Longest Book: Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (517 pages)

GENRE BREAKDOWN:
3 Adult Romances
1 Paranormal
1 Thriller
1 Graphic Novel
4 Contemporary
4 Dystopian
2 Fantasy
1 Historical Fiction
2 YA Romances

3-STAR READS:

1. Prisoner of Night & Fog by Anne Blankman (Historical, 432 pages)
This story follows our main character, Gretchen Mueller, during the 1930's in Munich, Germany pre-Hitler. Gretchen's father served for Hitler, and when he was killed while serving, Adolf Hitler promises to take Gretchen and her family under his wing. As Gretchen begins to learn about her Uncle Dolf's plan to wipe out the Jewish population, she runs into a Jewish reporter, Daniel, trying to break down the Nazi Party. 

It's clear by the bibliography in the back of this novel that Anne Blankman put a lot of work and research into this novel, weaving together facts and fiction. Blankman did such a great job as portraying Hitler as how his people saw him before he came to reign, in such a terrifying way. She made him seem so likeable, charming and loving (which is how his people saw him before his reign of terror - no one could believe their beloved Hitler would be a psycho). I also enjoyed learning more about Hitler's past - I feel like that is not talked about and it's interesting to see that and how it played a role in his reign (no spoilers here).

There was a romance in this novel, but it was on the back burner which I liked. Anne Blankman focused more on the events of the time era, instead of focusing on the romance and fiction. 

I gave this three stars not just because it's not my genre of choice, but also because I felt that it was slow and took some time to get into the conflict and plot. I understand why it was written that way, as it reflects the time period and educates you and if it jumped right into conflict, it definitely wouldn't have the same long-lasting effects.

2. All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven (Contemporary, 388 pages)
This story follows our main characters, Violent & Finch who meet on the top of the school roof, both waiting to jump. But who saves who? 

This book is.. heavy. It is not a book for the light-hearted. It is dark. It is raw. It is honest. It is scary.

We follow Finch and Violet, our two main characters who are struggling with their own mental illness. Violet some PTSD and grief and Finch with Bipolar. Both have suicidal ideation and feel lost in their own lives and through that, they come together.

A lot of people feel that this story "romanticizes" mental illness. I can see that, but there are also parts where I felt the author did a good job of describing and representing depression. As someone who suffers from depression myself, I could relate to the "darkness" that Finch feels throughout this book. He tried to hide his depression well, through his antics and his jokes, and I felt like that was accurate of a lot of people who suffer from mental illness. Mental illness has a negative stigma attached to it, so people often don't want to be labelled as "depressed" or "anxious" or as Finch is called.. "a Freak." I related to that hard core. It took me a while to be able to open up about my own struggles with depression because I was afraid of the label.

Trigger warnings for abuse, depression, and suicide.


If you ever feel like you are struggling or wanting to harm yourself.. please speak to someone whether it be a friend, a parent, a neighbor or a co-worker. You are not alone. The author's note at the end of this is very important and should be read.

3. The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes by Suzanne Collins (Dystopian, 517 pages)
Ya'll already know how I feel about this one, so check out my previous post as I go into depth on my thoughts on the latest Hunger Games release.

4-Star Reads:

1. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (YA Contemporary, 286 pages)
Sixteen-year old Aza suffers from depression and OCD. When a old friend's billionaire father goes missing, she decides to take on the mystery and re-connect with this old friend. 

This one did not disappoint, but it was meh for me. While John Green does a remarkable job of portraying mental illness, the story kind of felt like it wasn't going anywhere. There wasn't a big climax or an intense plot. It was just.. okay.

I did enjoy the friendship between Daisy and Aza though; and how even though Daisy saw Aza at her worst with her illness, she still loved her unconditionally and didn't go anywhere and just accepted her, and that's important.

2. Paperweight by Meg Haston (YA Contemporary, 288 pages)
This story was an emotional one, following our main character Stevie, who enters a treatment facility for her eating disorder shortly after the passing of her brother.

The way that Meg Haston portrayed Bulimia and Anorexia was astounding. She did it delicately but accurately, and I felt like I learned a lot.

I enjoyed seeing Stevie grow through the book and how real her character felt.

Trigger warning for suicidal ideation, anorexia, abuse, and PTSD

3. The Boyfriend Project by Farrah Rochon (Adult Romance, 344 pages)
When Samiah founds out via TWITTER that the guy she has been seeing has been dating two other girls at the same time, she swears off men for 6 months so she can focus on herself. She has an app she wants to develop so she figures this is the perfect time to do that, until she meets the new guy in the office Daniel, who has some serious good looks and a secret life.

This one was interesting in the role that Daniel’s character played. I liked how there was more than one storyline going on and that the characters were more than just two co-workers who fell in love.

Samiah (seriously love that name) is our female main character and she IS badass. She is a strong, motivated and independent woman at the top of her career AND developing her own app. Talk about some serious girl power there!

4. I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder (Paranormal, 227 pages)
15-year-old Ava's boyfriend Jackson, died in an accident that she feels was her fault. A story told in verse.

Hauntingly beautiful. A deep and powerful story written in verse about how true love never dies, and we can only move on when we have handled our grief, are ready and have our supports wanting to help us.

5. The Dark Matter of Mona Starr by Laure Lee Gulledge (Graphic Novel, 192 pages)
Mona is a high-school student who often feels trapped by her depression, which she refers to as "The Dark Matter". Soon she starts making friends and begins to feel motivated again, until her depression starts to creep it's way back in and Mona begins to push her friends away.

This graphic novel was an excellent representation of depression. The way that the author compares Mona’s depression as “her matter” was deep.

6. This Coven Won't Break by Isabel Sterling (YA Fantasy, 321 pages)
In this story, we follow Hannah as she tries to take down the Witch Hunters, who are working to take away all the clans magic and "cure" them. Minor spoiler: throughout this story we see the three clans work together to stop the hunters (Blood Witches, Elementals, & the Casters).

I loved the plot. While you can tell this book is generated towards more of the younger audience in the YA genre, I still enjoyed it thoroughly at the ripe age of 25. Sterling does an excellent job picking right up where she left off, hinting at events from the first book to remind readers since SO much happened. This one is equally as fast-paced and easy to follow, with a twist at the end that leaves you asking yourself: "how did I miss that?" I loved how each of the different types of witches were explored and how their unique abilities were explained. It was nice to be able to fully understand more of the Blood Witches and the Casters aside from the basic facts of "oh he makes potions" and "she heals things with her blood." I LOVE reading about witches and magic, and this one was SO fun. It definitely wasn't as dark as the debut novel, but that didn't make the plot weak.

5-STAR READS:

1. 4 Weeks, 5 People by Jennifer Yu (YA Contemporary, 384 pages) **2020 FAVORITE**

We follow 5 characters (Ben, Stella, Andrew, Clarrissa & Mason) as they attend Wilderness Therapy Camp for four weeks in the summer to try and address and overcome their mental illnesses. 

Trigger warning for abuse and suicide attempt

ADORED this book. The characters were funny and relatable, the subject matter was important, and the story line was emotional. I laughed out loud at the banter and teared up near the end. The ending was well, but I wanted more! I fell in love with each of the characters and their mental illness, and just wanted to know how their lives continued after camp ended.

Each character is dealing with a different mental illness. One has anorexia (a male), one has Narcissist Personality Disorder, one has OCD, one has manic depression, and the other has depression and honestly, probably some PTSD. As someone who suffers from depression myself, I thought Jennifer Yu did a very good job representing and writing about depression and mental illness. This book easily made it's way into my heart and became one of my favorites of the year. These characters should be protected at all costs honestly.

2. On the Fence by Kasie West (YA Romance, 293 Pages)
Charlie (Charlotte) is a sixteen-year-old teen who is defined as a Tomboy thanks to growing up with three older brothers. When she has to start working to pay off a speeding ticket, she finds herself in a double life. She begins to lose sleep and spend time outside in the backyard for "fence talks" with her super-cute, and "fourth" brother, Braden. But what happens when she starts to fall for him?

At first I wasn’t going to give this one five stars but it was just so cute and heartwarming that I had to. Although this book is definitely geared towards a younger audience, I loved it! I’ve heard so many people rave about Kasie West so I finally got some of her books and decided to start with this one, and I am glad I did!

The writing was flowy, the characters were relatable and showed development throughout the story and the love (family love too) was so precious, it had my heart swooning! The romance isn’t the key part of this book so if you’re look for a light romance, this is the perfect book for you!

3. The Happily Ever After Playlist by Abby Jimenez (Adult Romance, 400 pages)** 2020 FAVORITE**

Sloan lost her fiancee, Brandon, two years ago in a tragic accident. One day when she is going to the cemetery, a dog (Tucker) jumps into her car. She tries for two weeks to reach the owner, Jason, but he never replies. Sloan then finds out that Jason is a musician who was just touring in Australia and wants his dog back.

This book...wow. The Friend Zone pretty much broke me so when I heard that this gem of a companion novel was coming out, I NEEDED to get my hands on it and pre-ordered it as soon as I was able to.

I loved it. I cried, I laughed, my heart broke and my heart grew. This was a beautiful story that showed the ugly and beautiful truths of what falling in love and being in love is like. If anyone needed their happy ending, it was definitely Sloan. I also loved the addition of Jason's dog Tucker. You can absolutely tell what kind of a person some is by how they treat their animals and boy did Sloan spoil Tucker!

4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Dystopian, 390 pages)

I don't think I really need to explain the plot of this one to you...

I’m probably the only human left in the world who hasn’t read this book. I am cursing myself for not reading these sooner! I don’t like fantasy or dystopian or whatever but I LOVED this one. I loved the character relationships and development and I was on the edge of my seat wondering about which character was going to make it to the end.

And Peeta and Katniss? One true pair right there. #District12

5. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Dystopian, 391 pages)
** 2020 FAVORITES**

I don't think I need to explain the plot of this one either besides the fact that it is the sequel to The Hunger Games. 

Wow that a book. And that ending?! Holy crap. It is all coming together so well. I did NOT expect that ending. I can’t even write a proper review right now because I am speechless after finishing this one. I am trying to wrap my head around this one. #Everlarkforever

6. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Dystopian, 390 pages)
Again, don't need to explain this one.

While this one is a little more political in regards to the plot, I absolutely loved how the story came together for this finale! All the story lines played out and the ending was so intense, I felt myself holding my breath!

I wouldn’t mind a sequel just about Katniss and Peeta and their new life (@Suzanne Collins)

7. Beach Read by Emily Henry (Adult Romance, 384 pages)
** 2020 FAVORITE**

Augustus (Gus) and January are two writers who find themselves to be neighbors on a beach-front property for different reasons. January considers Gus her rival since college. Gus writes Literary Fiction while January writes Romance novels. One day they decide to make a bet and challenge one another to switch genres and write their new novel. 

This book was a fun and flirty romance that can definitely be devoured in one sitting while on the beach (if we didn't have this pandemic). The banter between Gus and January was fun to follow and the way their relationship developed from friends to lovers was romantic and pure. I like how they were both trying to heal themselves from different things. Gus doesn't believe in happy endings after a terrible childhood and January questions her belief in happy endings after the passing of her father and some scandal came to light. The icing on the cake? Both of them are writers!

I liked how the author intertwined the romance with heavier topics such as grief and loss, as well as abuse. The story felt like more than a fluffy romance, which I enjoyed. I found myself smiling as I got further along into the story! I loved the emphasis on focusing on your 'happily ever nows' instead of ever afters. It really encourages the reader to enjoy the present day and the happiness that you feel, instead of waiting for the ball to drop and disaster to strike.

And the ending? OH. MY. GOD. 

Another bonus? Not TOO steamy!

8. The Chain by Adrian McKinty (Thriller, 357 pages)
What happens when your child is kidnapped and not only do you need to pay a ransom within 24-hours, but also kidnap another child to replace yours in "The Chain". Oh, and don't ever talk about "The Chain" cause they will know and they will kill your child.

This book had my heart-racing and jaw dropped throughout the entire story! This is the definition of a thriller. And a good one at that. I Did NOT expect the ending that was developed.

This book is twisted yes but that’s what makes it SO good! Plus there are short chapters and who doesn’t love that? How far would you go and how deep does a parents love really go?

9. Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets Illustrated by J.K. Rowling & Jim Kay (Fantasy, 259 pages)

I don't really need to explain the plot of this one either. This illustrated version is gorgeous and made me just as happy as the first time I ever read Harry Potter!

10. November 9 by Colleen Hoover (YA Romance, 307 pages)

**  2020 Favorite**

I posted an entire blog about this one too so check that out for more!

November 9 follows two characters: Benton (Ben) and Fallon. They are both 18-years-old and their lives are intertwined in more ways than one. Benton runs into Fallon on November 9, the day that she hates as it is the anniversary of the day of her accident that took place when she was 16. They run into each other and decide to spend the day together, promising that they will meet every year on November 9 at this same diner. The catch? No talking throughout the year and no social media stalking (say what!). Oh and Ben's a writer, that's important to know.

This story progresses over several November 9 and that's it. The book does not talk about any of the days between each November 9. And as they meet each year, their relationships grows more passionate and intense, resulting in some serious insta-love, this-cannot-be-real-life moments. It's brilliant and I have never seen a story do something like this in such a breath taking way!

The plot was brilliant and unique. It was romantic, it was aggravating, it was heart-wrenching, and it was swoon worthy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Me In: A BiRacial Story Set During A Trying Time