November 9: It's More Than Just a Date

I think I just read one of the greatest books I will ever read in my lifetime.. yes I said it. 

My best friend and I share books, and it's the best. We like a lot of the same stuff, but also different things. She likes fantasy and I like romance. She has gotten me into books like The Hunger Games and I've gotten her into books like The Friend Zone

More importantly, she is the one who showed me Colleen Hoover. And holy crap, Hoover quickly became one of my favorite authors, especially after this read. 

I read this book in a day, I mean it's only 307 pages but still. When I finished, all I could say was "wow". I was speechless.. still am.




November 9 is such an original tale. It's unique and magical. It's heart-breaking and heart-warming. And more importantly, it's the date that my best friend, who I mentioned above, was born! (That should have been enough of a giveaway that this book was going to be good).

November 9 follows two characters: Benton (Ben) and Fallon. They are both 18-years-old and their lives are intertwined in more ways than one. Benton runs into Fallon on November 9, the day that she hates as it is the anniversary of the day of her accident that took place when she was 16. They run into each other and decide to spend the day together, promising that they will meet every year on November 9 at this same diner. The catch? No talking throughout the year and no social media stalking (say what!). Oh and Ben's a writer, that's important to know. 

This story progresses over several November 9 and that's it. The book does not talk about any of the days between each November 9. And as they meet each year, their relationships grows more passionate and intense, resulting in some serious insta-love, this-cannot-be-real-life moments. It's brilliant and I have never seen a story do something like this in such a breath taking way!

There were several mini plot twists that had me SHOOK. I found myself skimming through some of the future chapters praying that this story could have a happy ending. (Which it did, I mean it is shelved as a romance). I honestly don't know how anyone could NOT like this book. Not liking this book is basically the equivalent of saying you don't like Harry Potter and EVERYONE likes Harry Potter.

1. Plot

The plot was brilliant and unique. It was romantic, it was aggravating, it was heart-wrenching, and it was swoon worthy. Hoover does an excellent job with plot development and tying everything together for it to make sense. The way that she weaves the twists into the story is so well-done, that it leaves you completely shocked and wondering "how the FUCK did I miss that?" Throughout the story you learn that November 9 means a lot of different things for both Fallon and Ben and isn't just representing what the reader thinks it is.

2. Character & Character Development.

I ADORED Ben. I want to make a carbon copy of him for real life. He is easily one of my top book boyfriends. The way that he loves Fallon is so selfless, and whole-hearted. He reminds her that she is beautiful, scars and all. He teaches her how to be confident, and how to love. He also has his own demons of course (because not everyone can be as perfect as Peeta Mellark). 

I really enjoyed Fallon's character as well and watching her grown over the course of the story as it goes through the years. We see her face a lot of challenges, and question a lot of things, challenging herself to go out of her comfort zone. We see her battle with the idea of love and sacrifice. We see her put others before herself. We see her hurt, we see her laugh and we see her grow.

There were several side characters, such as Ben's brothers, Fallon's parents and Fallon's best friends. My favorite side character was Glenn - he was hilarious and added some humor to some dark situations. 

3. Writing Style

I really like CoHo's writing style. It's super easy to follow and not too descriptive where you end up having to re-read the sentence over and over to make sure you got all the detail that was thrown onto the page. She has a way with her writing that keeps the reader engaged in the story, even during the more "boring" parts.

4. Overall Impressions & Opinions

Need I say more? If you didn't read any of the beginning of this blog... I LOVED THIS. 

** SPOILER ALERT** **SPOILER ALERT** **SPOILER ALERT**

If you have NOT read this yet, then do NOT proceed. I repeat DO NOT proceed. 





BEN STARTED THE FIRE?1 ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I DID NOT EXPECT THAT COMING! When I read that I was absolutely shocked. It was also the death of the suicide of his mother. Holy shit. And his mother was DATING Fallon's dad?! The fact that Fallon and Ben could have been step-siblings is super weird to me and makes me think that would be some serious incest going on in that house. 

I loved the corny and sweet ending where Ben tells Fallon that he's going to propose to her in a "bookworthy" way on the next November 9.

The sex scene was well written as well. It was romantic and not erotic or steamy. I appreciated that IMMENSELY.  It showed how much Ben really loved Fallon. 

And Fallon is an audiobook narrator?! Girl tell me how you do it because that is something I would LOVE to do. Where do I sign up?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Me In: A BiRacial Story Set During A Trying Time