Just Saying: A NetGalley Review

Hi Friends!


Today I have another NetGalley review for you! 

Thank you to NetGalley for an e-Arc of Sophie Ranald's newest release, Just Saying, coming out on July 3.



"I almost gave up on love. My ex, who called his private parts ‘Nigel’, was enough to put me off men forever. But then I met Joe. " 

Yes, that is the exact quote from the book and what caught my attention, making me want to pick this story up!

This follows our main character Alice, who resides with her boyfriend Joe. She considers him to be "the one" and their life is pretty much perfect... until it isn't. When Joe asks his ex, Zoe, to move in since she is homeless and has no where to go, Alice reluctantly agrees and starts to second guess Zoe's intentions and if her relationship really is as good and secure as it seems.

This book was fun! I liked the main story line and how there were other story lines weaving into it. I thought that Alice was a really passionate character. She was also relatable in the insecurities she felt in regards to herself and her relationship, because all women feel that. Even those that seem the most confident. 

I liked how the author also tackled the #MeToo movement and made it part of Alice's story, but not to the point where it was overtaking the original plot and story line. I do wish that Alice had told Joe sooner, since a lot of the book was about Alice thinking about this event and secret she had from Joe and how she was going to tell him. I understand why the author wrote it this way, and it is realistic in the fact that there are many women who never come forward, or who take a long time to do so. 

I also enjoyed how all of the characters felt important, even if they were introduced as a side character. 

There were parts of the book that really dragged and I felt like could have been shortened, but overall it was a smooth read and there were several parts where I found myself laughing out loud at some of the events and dialogue that were taking place. The book was light, and perfect for a sunny afternoon read!

Rating: 3.5 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Me In: A BiRacial Story Set During A Trying Time