Ghosting: A Love Story Review

Hi friends, welcome back!

Today I have another fun, romance review, for a book that quickly made it's way to my favorites list for the year because of it's originality. That book is Ghosting: A Love Story by Tash Skilton. 

Fun fact? Tash Skilton is a pen-name for two female friends who are writers (hello Christina Lauren). 

Ghosting: A Love Story is a fun and original read, leading us into the real-world of dating as well as the 'fake' world of dating through online profiles (watch out Tinder!)



This story follows our two main characters, Zoey and Miles, who get off to the wrong start (but of course, this is a romantic comedy after all) when they run into each other at a cafe hot spot, both fighting over the day-old Biscotti and a very large table that is situated by the window.

Zoey and Miles are both ghost-writers for rival online dating companies, whose CEO's were once married. One day, Zoey and Miles start chatting, pretending to be their assigned clients who conveniently matched, not realizing that they are actually talking to one another. Slowly, things start to progress between our two main characters and their feelings for the clients they think they are chatting with and for, leading to a steamy and sweet discovery. Turns out, Miles and Zoey may be the "perfect match" after all. 

1. Plot

Going into this book, I did not have high hopes because it was not at all what I was expecting it to be like. I then read the first chapter for my Try A Chapter Challenge on Youtube (follow me at lettherebebooks) and ending up LOVING the writing. I quickly picked this one up to find out what this story was about and was not disappointed. 

The plot is clever and original. A You've Got Mail re-telling (I never read/saw the original), that is just fun. The banter between the characters is adorable and the plot shows character growth very well. I found myself on the edge of my seat just waiting for the big reveal that they had been chatting with one another the entire time. I thought the ending was done well, and the book really progressed in a way that was not too fast and not too slow. 

2. Character & Character Development
Of course our characters have some quirks that the other helps fix, because it wouldn't be a romance with out that right? I truly liked everything about Miles & Zoey. I really felt like that authors did a good job at showing how they deal with issues, their pasts, as well as their growth. Zoey's parents really sucked though and I loved how Miles made sure that Zoey understood that she is worth much more than what her parents think of her. 

I also liked how Zoey and Miles relationship wasn't insta-love. In a lot of these adult romances, there is often that plot of insta-love where the characters see each other for the first time and are in love with them within 5 seconds. In this story, Miles and Zoey didn't like each other but slowly became friends, making their romantic relationship much deeper when they did finally get together. I appreciated that, because you don't see that often. It made the book that much more realistic for me because of that. After all, the best relationships do come from friendships. 

3. Writing
I loved the writing style. I liked how almost all of the chapters started off with an email and then there were parts of the instant, online chat conversations incorporated as well. I thought there was a lot of humor with the main characters, and I felt like I was actually in their head with their thoughts. The writing flowed, and made the plot progress effortlessly. 

4. Overall Impressions & Opinions
I really liked this one overall! I liked the premises for the plot. I liked the main characters and the major side characters. I also liked how this book was relatable and really got into the makings of online dating. After all, you never know who you're really talking to right?

This is a 5-star read for me because I just enjoyed it! I also feel like this is a book I will remember and would consider re-reading in the future. 

This will absolutely be added to my list of favorites for the year! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Me In: A BiRacial Story Set During A Trying Time