The New Girlfriend: A Review

 Hi Friends!


Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me the chance to read and review Sheryl Browne's new psychological thriller, The New Girlfriend, set to release on August 3rd. 

**All review opinions are my own.

This book was twisted, and in the best kind of way.


We follow several different character's POV's as they grieve the loss of Joshua. Joshua was the son of Cassie and was killed on the train tracks in July of 2019. Soon after his funeral, this woman named Kim knocks on Cassie's door claiming that Josh had a baby with her and that Cassie has a grandson. Soon Cassie learns that she will do whatever she can to hide her secrets and care for Samuel and protect him at all costs.

Wow, the cast of characters were all unreliable and that's what makes this thriller so good. Kim was insane, literally insane, and you could tell that there was something off with her early on in the beginning of the story. It was interesting to see some chapters go back in time to Josh's POV to see how all the characters are connected and piece together what really happened on that fatal night. Despite the police ruling it a suicide, Adam, Josh's step-father is not convinced and knows there is more than meets the eye. 

I did not see a single twist coming, which made the roller-coaster ride of reading this short (294 pages) thriller such a blast. I cringed at so many different parts and it shocked me how far some people can go when they are desperate and obsessive. It definitely made me want to rethink all of my past and present relationships. 

Cassie is so mentally ill and dealing with the grief of so many things, along with the paranoia that someone is texting her and threatening to tell her secret, makes her POV so entertaining and vile at times. There are so many different mental illnesses portrayed in this book, making it a true psychological thriller. 

And when Cassie's secrets were revealed? WOW. I was NOT expecting it at all. I literally did not see any hints of it leading up to the reveal, and I am sure if I combed back through I may pick up on some things that I missed. 

Overall rating is 5 stars. This book is making me hunger for some more thrillers. 

How much would you risk to protect the ones you love? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Me In: A BiRacial Story Set During A Trying Time