The Last Flight: A #MeToo Movement

Hi Friends! 

Today I have for you, a review of a domestic thriller that I just finished and DEVOURED. A short book at 302 pages, a book that needs to be talked about and discussed.

The Last Flight by Julie Clark releases on June 23, 2020 and was a Book of the Month pick for the month of June. Intrigued by the cover and title, I quickly looked it up on Goodreads to see the synopsis and instantly wanted to know more.



This novel follows our two main characters, Eva and Claire, who are both running from something. Claire is the wife of upcoming politician, Rory Cook, and her life seems perfect; at least from the outside. What people don't know is that behind closed doors, Claire's life is less than perfect and Rory is actually a hot-headed husband who likes to hit. Eva is a woman on the other side of the country who got herself into a situation and needs to get out of it fast.. and alive. These two women meet at the airport and switch flights. Claire takes Eva's flight to Oakland and Eva takes Claire's to Puerto Rico. What the women don't expect is for the plane heading to Puerto Rico to crash, and leave no survivors.

Guys, this book was GOOD. We follow the POV of both characters and the story is addicting. There are small twists that are in the story, and it is definitely a fast-paced read. 

1. Plot
The plot was great, and not like anything I have read before. Not only is it a domestic thriller, one that keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what happened to both women, but it is also a book empowering women to speak against abuse and sexual assault. The #MeToo movement is thrown into the story line in a way that is clever, and does not takeaway from the premise of the book. It raises awareness to domestic violence in a way that is done in the right way, leading readers right into the discussion. I loved it! I enjoyed the ending as well to see how everything played out for our main characters and how the side characters that were introduced along the way, tied together with the main characters.

2. Character & Character Development
We follow Eva and Claire through their alternating POV's. Both women are very different, but also very similar and we watch these characters grow as the story progresses. I enjoyed both of the main characters and found them relatable, and found myself rooting for them. I enjoyed how Claire and Eva connected, and how their encounter was more than just a coincidence. I liked being able to go into each of their minds and see what they were thinking and how they were trying to devise ways to get out of their own respective situations. 

3. Writing Style
This book is told in first-person, and the writing is easy to follow. The chapters are short, and addicting. Once you start, the writing really grabs your attention and makes it hard for you to put the book down and walking away because you just want to know more. Seriously, I thought the writing was brilliant!

4. Overall Impressions
I have not read many thrillers lately, so this was a great book to get me back into the genre. I enjoyed this book and liked that it was short, and not overdone. It felt like the book was paced well and the concept was really interesting to me. It's a fast-paced read, which is what I prefer in the types of thrillers that I read. I want a thriller that catches my attention instantly, and keeps it throughout the plot, and this book lived up to that expectation.

A solid 5-star read for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Me In: A BiRacial Story Set During A Trying Time