June 2020 Wrap-Up

Hi Friends!

Since when did July just creep up on us like this?! It just means one month closer to be finished with this Stephen King novel of a year. 

June started off pretty well in regards to my reads. I was rating pretty high and then took a dip and books became "meh" and finished off the month as meh and feeling myself slowly descending into a reading slump. I seriously have three books going right now because I cannot figure out what I am looking for to get me out of this slump. 

Some of my reading was dedicated to authors and characters of color, which was really great and educational for me and also got some good books that were on my shelf waiting to be read for way too long. 



For June I read a total of 16 books (4 E-books and 12 physical). 

STATS:
Pages: 3,437
2-Star Reads: 1
3-Star Reads: 6
4-Star Reads: 3
5-Star Reads: 6
Favorites: 4
Shortest Book: I Am More Than A Daydream (74 pages)
Longest Book: 28 Summers (417 pages)

GENRE BREAKDOWN:
6 YA
3 Adult Romance
1 YA Romance
1 Thriller
2 Chick-Lit
1 Poetry
1 Sci-Fi/Dystopian
1 Fantasy

2-STAR READS:

1. Master Class by Christina Dalcher (Sci-Fi/Dystopian, 321 pages)
This book follows a new world where one's value is determined by the Q. There is monthly testing to see which of the three schools you fit in (yellow which is the worst, green, or silver). Elena's daughter ends up lowering her Q and being sent away to a yellow school so she does whatever it takes to help her daughter. 

I really liked Vox, the debut novel from Christina Dalcher so I was excited to get my hands on this one.

The concept was interesting and confusing. The book itself was pretty boring. I felt like there was no true build up or anything that really kept me interested. (Hence why it took me FIVE days to read this).

I think the author was trying to show similarities between this new world and the Holocaust era, but I could have had all that German talk and story telling wrong? I’m not entirely sure?

There’s no doubt that Christina Dalcher is basically a genius but I think this book was too... scientific (?) for me. I don’t know man.

3-STAR READS:

1. Making Turquoise by Claire McFall (Young Adult, E-Book)
This book opens up with a classic murder scene and the question of whodunit. Callum Thomson is found murdered at his 21st birthday party, that he shares with his twin sister Hayley. The two suspects are none other than the McGaffney brothers, Liam and Aiden. Aiden has a history of being a big, fat bully and drug addict who loves to fight. Liam is Hayley's old lover, and old friend. So why would they murder Callum?

This book transports us through the different ages of our four main characters, starting at 11 years old and ending at 21. Each chapter is a different age and we learn how the four of them are connected, and what happens that year that affects all four of them. 

This book is dark. There is no happy ending to this story. There are serious topics discussed and a trigger warning for drug abuse, physical abuse, murder, abortion, and teen pregnancy. 

Oh, and it takes place in Scotland, which runs very differently than the US. In Scotland, you can get arrested for having a knife on you, any type of knife, including a pocket knife. Also there is a huge rivalry between Tims and Proddys, which I had no idea what that even meant until I saw a fellow reviewer report that football is basically a religion over there and Tims like the Celtics and Proddys like the Rangers. (Yeah, I have no idea.. it seemed much more political to me than that). 

2. Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner (Chick-Lit/Thriller, 354 pages)
Man guys, I don't even know where to start. This book had a LOT of hype and really didn't meet it's mark for me. Several times while reading it, I thought to myself, I could be reading so many other books right now. But before I get into THAT, let me start off by telling you all what this novel is about.

Big Summer follows our main characters Daphne and Drue. Two "best" friends who are very, very different. Daphne is a plus-sized Instagram influencer, trying to encourage women around the world to admire their bodies, just like she learned to do after a lot of hardships. Drue WAS Daphne's best friend growing up and was essentially royalty. She was pretty, popular, and rich. Oh, and she used people too. So when Drue shows up on Daphne's door six years later, asking Daphne to be her Maid of Honor in her upcoming luxurious wedding, Daphne is confused and resistant. After a lot of grovelling and convincing from Drue, Daphne agrees. When she gets to the Cape Cod wedding, the night before she learns some secrets and starts to understand why Drue wanted her here. Then, a murder happens and things get a little out of hand. 

Part One is SLOWI literally had to push myself to get through it. I get the importance of knowing the background stories of our two main characters, but damn. I think there was a little too much emphasis on it. I seriously kept finding things to take my attention away from reading during this part because I was THAT bored. I was reading an E-ARC on my Kindle while reading this one (I never double read) just because I could not get into this story. And this is my first Weiner book so imagine how my impressions were. 

Part Two definitely picked up, especially with the way that the first part ended. I mean, it was somewhat surprising but not at the same time because of the discussion around this book. The pace was a bit faster and my attention was held for much longer. But it still dragged on. Oh and don't forget the random romance that happened in part one that was really out of the blue. 

Part Three was also pretty fast-paced (thankfully) but the big reveal at the end had me unimpressed. I didn't see it coming, which is usually great, but in this case, it just didn't make any sense to me. The ending was really lackluster for me.

3. Just Saying by Sophie Renald (Chick-Lit, E-book)

This follows our main character Alice, who resides with her boyfriend Joe. She considers him to be "the one" and their life is pretty much perfect... until it isn't. When Joe asks his ex, Zoe, to move in since she is homeless and has no where to go, Alice reluctantly agrees and starts to second guess Zoe's intentions and if her relationship really is as good and secure as it seems.

This book was fun! I liked the main story line and how there were other story lines weaving into it. I thought that Alice was a really passionate character. She was also relatable in the insecurities she felt in regards to herself and her relationship, because all women feel that. Even those that seem the most confident. 

I liked how the author also tackled the #MeToo movement and made it part of Alice's story, but not to the point where it was overtaking the original plot and story line. I do wish that Alice had told Joe sooner, since a lot of the book was about Alice thinking about this event and secret she had from Joe and how she was going to tell him. I understand why the author wrote it this way, and it is realistic in the fact that there are many women who never come forward, or who take a long time to do so. 

4. The Voting Booth by Brandy Colbert (Young Adult, E-book)

This story follows our two main characters, Marva and Duke. Marva has been canvassing for the upcoming election and is first in line of Election day. When she is there, Duke is trying to vote and is being told he cannot and his voting place has changed. Feeling defeated, he leaves and Marva stops him and promises to help him vote before the day is done. The story then follows our two characters as they try to get Duke to vote, and then Marva's cat goes missing so they work together to find her cat, who is also Instagram famous. 

This book sounds cute, and I am not saying that it wasn't because the ending was, but I had a lot of issues with the story itself. First off, it takes place during a 24-hour time span. Usually, this makes things very interesting with a plot but I felt like there was a lot of jumping around and that the story could have been shortened. I know that the author could not realistically write a teen fiction story just about getting Duke to vote, and had to add other elements, but the search party and missing of Marva's cat felt thrown into the story and felt like it didn't really fit with the rest of the plot. Marva and Duke have an Insta-Love relationship which was cute, and also really unrealistic.

5. If You Only Knew by Prerna Pickett (YA Romance, 294 pages)

This story follows our two main characters Tessa and Corey, each chapter alternating between their POV's. Corey was just released from jail, for a crime he took blame for and didn't commit, and ends up vandalizing the house of the attorney who gave him a plea deal, who is also the father of Tessa. Tessa is a "bad girl" and lives for her motorcycle with secrets of her own that are eating at her conscience. When Corey ends up working for Tessa's dad on a project, Corey and Tessa end up spending a lot more time together than they planned.

This romance is a slow burn, and a good slow burn at that. 

I liked this romance because the characters were imperfect and had to work through their own struggles, while coming together and helping one another with their issues. Corey has a terrible past and is in a life that he is desperate to get out of and will do anything to save & protect his family. Tessa has a secret that she is trying to make up for my doing things for others and trying to "Save" others. The two end up saving one another. 

6. A Whole New World by Liz Braswell (Fantasy, 376 pages)

The first 75 pages or so is a direct copy of the Aladdin movie from 1992. It is literally the movie word for word, which caused a lot of people to DNF. However, if you keep reading, you will see how the story drastically changes from the loved cartoon. 

There were a few things that this story brought that was interesting to me:

1. We get to meet Aladdin's mother in the prologue. In the movie, we know nothing of Aladdin's parents besides the fact that they are dead and Aladdin is basically an orphan. In this story we see who his mother was and the story about his father. It gave Aladdin some more character depth and explained some of his behaviors that we associate him with. 

2. Aladdin has two friends; Duban & Morgiana who are also "Street Rats" (cue in the song that is now forever stuck in my head, One Jump Ahead). Duban and Morgiana play important roles in this story in overtaking Jafar's ruling. I thought it was a nice touch to have some sidekicks for Aladdin, instead of him taking on the battle himself.

3. There is no Prince Ali (obviously). I liked seeing how Aladdin would have won over Jasmine and his role in the palace had he not figured out that the lamp was actually magical and contained a Genie. 

Overall, I thought this was a cute read and an intresting alternative to the popular story and cartoon of Aladdin. Was there times I was frustrated with what was happening? Yes of course, because I love Aladdin the way that it is so when you take something I love and change it, I'm not going to be happy. But alas, that is the entire POINT of this story and the series itself so I had to check myself. 

4-STAR READS:

1. I Am More Than A Daydream by Jennae Cecelia (Poetry, 74 pages)

Not much to write about this one because it is so small. It's an empowering poetry collection that is also uplifting and discusses taboo topics. 

2. Jackpot by Nic Stone (Young Adult, 339 pages)

Jackpot follows our two main characters, Rico (girl) and Zan. Rico is a black female who lives in a run-down apartment with her mother and her younger brother. Rico works while she is finishing up high school, so that she can help her mama pay off the bills including rent and electricity. She doesn't know what it's like to have money and dreams of winning the lottery. One day, while she is working, she sells a lottery ticket to an elderly woman, who buys Rico a ticket as well and has her choose which ticket. It turns out later that a ticket from her store won, and it wasn't hers. She is determined to find this woman and tell her she won, with hopes that the woman will give her some of her winnings. In order to do this, she invests the help of super popular and super rich kid, Zan Macklin, whose father founded the Macklin company that specializes in toilet paper.

I loved that there were chapters that were told by POV's of inanimate objects, such as the lottery ticket and Rico's prom dress. I thought that gave the book a really interesting style, and it was incorporated well and totally not weird. I have always loved Nic Stone's writing style because it's real and it shows the character's struggles, while also flowing and being easy to read (and get sucked into). Stone writes good stories that are often very raw and realistic, making her an amazing author (who is also very humble).

I liked the plot of this book A LOT. I thought the premises of the story was really interesting an it was fun trying to see these two kids solve a mystery and try not to fall in love. I did get annoyed at some points with Rico's character, cause she was very strung on having enough money to help her mom and constantly thinking and talking about how Zan is rich and won't understand and that is why they shouldn't be friends. I get why she was like that, because she really was struggling, but I felt like it just got annoying as the book went on.

3. Slay by Brittney Morris (Young Adult, 323 pages)

This book follows our main character, Keira, who is a senior in a predominatly White high school, where her and her sister Steph are two of the four Black people in the entire school. One of the other Black people is Keira's boyfriend Malcolm who is an advocate for Black Excellence and being righted for all the wrongs that Black individuals have faced over the years. By day, Keira is a regular student, trying to graduate and go to the best college. By night, she is the creator and developer of an MMORPG game called Slay, that inspires Black Excellence and Black Culture. Almost all of the players are of color and it is a world where they can escape racism and racial slurs that are hurled against them in their every day lives. But when a troll gets into Keira's game and threatens to sue her for being discriminatory against White people, she begins to second guess everything. Oh, and can't forget that an innocent Black teen was killed over a dispute involving her game. 

I am going to start by saying that I am not the intended audience for this book. This book was written for individuals of color and is unapologetically Black. I still enjoyed it and learned a lot from it, especially about Black Culture. I feel like this book is so inspiring for teens of color and shows them that they can truly be whoever and whatever they want to be and that their skin color should never stop them from having those opportunities that I, myself as a White female, would have. 

The characters were inspiring. I loved how Keira was able to stay calm and explain to her best friend Harper, who is White, how it is offense to ask Keira for her opinion on things in the Black Culture and assume that Keira is speaking for all blacks. You see Keira explain to Harper why she feels this way and the appropriate way to ask and to help her best friend better understand her life and her challenges.

I absolutely ADORED the SLAY community that Keira built and how there were chapters in the book that focused on some characters who play the game and how it has changed their life and affected them. I also enjoyed learning about Claire, Keira's right-hand woman in the developing aspect of SLAY and how she is across the country and they share a bond. It was interesting to read from her POV in some of the chapters and I loved their friendship.

5-STAR READS:

1. Ghosting: A Love Story by Tash Skilton (Adult Romance, 355 pages) *2020 Favorite*

This story follows our two main characters, Zoey and Miles, who get off to the wrong start (but of course, this is a romantic comedy after all) when they run into each other at a cafe hot spot, both fighting over the day-old Biscotti and a very large table that is situated by the window.

Zoey and Miles are both ghost-writers for rival online dating companies, whose CEO's were once married. One day, Zoey and Miles start chatting, pretending to be their assigned clients who conveniently matched, not realizing that they are actually talking to one another. Slowly, things start to progress between our two main characters and their feelings for the clients they think they are chatting with and for, leading to a steamy and sweet discovery. Turns out, Miles and Zoey may be the "perfect match" after all. 

The plot is clever and original. A You've Got Mail re-telling (I never read/saw the original), that is just fun. The banter between the characters is adorable and the plot shows character growth very well. I found myself on the edge of my seat just waiting for the big reveal that they had been chatting with one another the entire time. I thought the ending was done well, and the book really progressed in a way that was not too fast and not too slow. 

I also liked how Zoey and Miles relationship wasn't insta-love. In a lot of these adult romances, there is often that plot of insta-love where the characters see each other for the first time and are in love with them within 5 seconds. In this story, Miles and Zoey didn't like each other but slowly became friends, making their romantic relationship much deeper when they did finally get together. I appreciated that, because you don't see that often. It made the book that much more realistic for me because of that. After all, the best relationships do come from friendships

2. Color Me In by Natasha Diaz (Young Adult, 365 pages)

This book follows our main character Neveah. Neveah is biracial. She appears white but her mother is Black and her father is a white Jewish male. People often call her "lightskin" and tell her that she is not part of their Black culture because of her features. This book follows her through her sophomore year of high school as she tries to figure out who she is as a person, and learns how to identify with both cultures and how to use her voice to speak up about those struggles and the oppression that she faces. There is not a plot per se, but the story progresses through the year as Neveah learns about herself and her family. This story is incredibly moving and educational, as well as eye-opening. 

As mentioned above, though there is not a plot per se, this story has many important components that are important and play a different role in Neveah's story. I enjoyed seeing her with her Black relatives, while also studying for her Bat Mitzvah, and ulitmately, at the end, combining these two cultures together as her identity. 

There was a part of the story that felt like it was so relevant to today's world and I had to stop for a second and process. There is a part in this novel where Neveah's boyfriend, Jesus, is racially profiled by police during a school day and is accused of starting a fight that he had absolutely no part in. My heart broke for this character during that part, and it made me realize that even though this is a fictional story, these events do happen all the time in the real world. 

3. The Trouble with Hating You by Sajni Patel (Adult Romance, 334 pages) *2020 Favorite** 

Seriously, this book was adorable and gave me all the When Dimple Met Rishi vibes! A wonderful debut by another Indian author who put together an amazing, fluffy, empowering, cultural, romance that had my romantic heart swooning. 

This story follows our main characters Liya and Jay. Liya is an independent bio chemical engineer who has no want to get married or settle down any time soon. However, in her culture, it is important that women be married off and follow Indian traditions of being a submissive house wife who bears children. Liya's parent's have been trying to set her up with Jay for so long, that they have her over for dinner, neglecting to tell her that Jay will be there. So when she shows up and sees him, things do not go well and Liya runs. Little does she know, Jay is the lawyer who will be working with her company and she will be spending a lot more time with him than she wanted. 

First off, I love reading books about other cultures. It's fun and interesting to see how other cultures operate and what their values and morals look like. 

Liya was a freaking badass. Jay's devotion to her was amazing and had my heart practically bursting out of my chest. He truly loved her unconditionally and his patience as she pushed him away for reasons that we later discover, was admirable and an example of what love should look like. 

Liya's dad was the biggest piece of shit and I wanted so badly to throat punch him. Any time his dialogue came up, I was fuming. 

The romance that developed between Liya and Jay was not only derived from the hate-to-love trope, but was also a bit of a slow burn which I really enjoyed. It kept me engrossed and wanting to know more, and impatiently waiting for that first kiss to finally freaking happen. I do love me some insta-love stories, but I can only take so many before I get annoyed at the unrealistic nature of it. Needless to say, this slow burn was exactly what I needed and enjoyed. And where do I find myself a man like Jay who will spend $1400 dollars on me for a single pair of shoes? I mean seriously, how freaking adorable. 

And that first sex scene? Completely not steamy or detailed and I liked that.

4. 28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand (Adult Romance, 417 pages) *2020 Favorite*

I just wanted more but at the same time, this book was SO satisfying. 

28 Summers follows our two main characters, Mallory and Jake. Mallory is Cooper's little sister and Cooper is one of Jake's best friends. The story starts with Mallory's son Link calling Jake (in 2020) up to let him know that Mallory is dying and he tells Link that he will be there as soon as he can. We then go to 1993 (Summer #1) and progress through yes, 28 summers and 28 years (leading to 2020) and see how Mallory and Cooper are each other's Same Time, Next Year and spend one weekend together each year. 

The story was SO MUCH MORE than just a romance. These characters dealt with some serious topics, especially sexual abuse and the #metoo movement. There was one part of the story line involving a male in power who was accused of raping several females and the way that it was handled was so reminiscent of today's society that I was angry. 

I LOVED hearing how Jake and Mallory's lives would go each year and all of the things that would be happening. I liked how there were several side characters who were intertwined with the main ones and that Elin references characters form her Winter Street series as well. I thought that was clever and gave the novel some depth.

5. This is my America by Kim Johnson (Young Adult, E-book) *2020 Favorite*

Wow. This book was powerful and very, very relevant to today's world. 

The story follows our main character Tracy as she is trying to get her father's case appealed, nine months before he is executed for his role in a double murder. While she is working to prove his innocence, her track star brother Jamal is accused of murdering the most popular girl (who is conveniently White) one  night. 

The story then takes off and tackles the subject of Black Lives Matter and the racial injustices that Black people face when it comes to police and the criminal justice system. 

This book was a work of fiction, but it felt so real at the same time because the things that were happening to our characters are truly happening in today's world to individuals of color of all ages. Tracy's motivation and dedication to fighting her father's case for over seven years is remarkable. I found myself tearing up and very angry at so many different parts of this story because of the way that our main characters were being treated. The author also dabbled with the history of the KKK and integrate them into the story to remind readers that White Supremacists are still very much out there and active. 

The author used both Jamal and his father's cases and intertwined them and connected them in such a brilliant way, that not only made sense but flowed with the story line. 

This book was incredible. I am truly speechless and feel that I need to process this story a little more. It is such an important read for individuals of all ages and color to read as soon as this book is released, and it needs to be discussed. This book should not be put under the radar, but spotlighted and talked about because it's important. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Color Me In: A BiRacial Story Set During A Trying Time